Post a comment on the text below

Once the data series are complete, the flow linearisation calculation is implemented, followed by a water asset accounts calculation, which is done to fill the gaps in the data for the parameters requested for the estimation of renewable water resources. The computations are implemented at different scales independently, from sub-basin scale to river basin district scale. 

Previous comments

• gomesfer (Fernanda Gomes) 26 Aug 2022 19:43:38

Portugal reports its data by river basin districts (8 rivers basin districts in mainland Portugal). The values for Portugal of the variables used in the computation of the WEI+ indicator presented in the Excel files are not always recognized by us. Even when the total value coincides with that reported by Portugal, a breakdown is made that we do not know how it is computed.

• marquman (Manuel Marquis) 02 Sep 2022 14:41:38

If this is about "code_ea" breakdown, which I did not understand either, after much searching, it seems to me that it is related to types of renewable water resources (type of source, i.e. distinction between Groundwater, Rivers, Artificial reservoirs and Lakes) as long as this items are used in DeltaS calculation (change in storage)... this is a supposition, but it would be very helpful to give metadata or data dictionary in order to permit full comprehension of available files. In the same way, we would have appreciated to have data with economic sectors breakdown (agriculture, public water supply...) at subbasins level, in oder to analyze where differences with our data could come from.  Unless I am mistaken, these elements have not been provided)

Portugal reports its data by river basin districts (8 rivers basin districts in mainland Portugal). The values for Portugal of the variables used in the computation of the WEI+ indicator presented in the Excel files are not always recognized by us. Even when the total value coincides with that reported by Portugal, a breakdown is made that we do not know how it is computed.

• zalllnih (Nihat Zal) 15 Sep 2022 11:29:16

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for overlooking the necessary clarification on the coding system used in the excel files. It had to be a part of the ReadMe file. The EEA Water accounting system is aligned with the UN SEEA Water (2012) standard. The Environmental Accounting codes (Code_EA) used in the excel tables are defining the following water bodies:
        1311 – Artificial reservoirs
        1312- Lakes
        1313 – Rivers
        1314 – Snow, Ice and Glaciers
        132 – Groundwater
        133 – Soil water
        21 – Sea
        DeltaS – change in water storage (as required by the formula for calculating the Renewable freshwater resources  

If this is about "code_ea" breakdown, which I did not understand either, after much searching, it seems to me that it is related to types of renewable water resources (type of source, i.e. distinction between Groundwater, Rivers, Artificial reservoirs and Lakes) as long as this items are used in DeltaS calculation (change in storage)... this is a supposition, but it would be very helpful to give metadata or data dictionary in order to permit full comprehension of available files. In the same way, we would have appreciated to have data with economic sectors breakdown (agriculture, public water supply...) at subbasins level, in oder to analyze where differences with our data could come from.  Unless I am mistaken, these elements have not been provided)

• zalllnih (Nihat Zal) 15 Sep 2022 11:13:23

Thank you for your feedback. The datasets that have been used in this indicator assessment are cited in the respective section, however methodological approach to temporal disaggregation of the annual data might expose some uncertainties and unmatching with the national data that national water agencies hold. We kindly encourage the Eionet Member Countries to share with us any additional information that might be available from the national datasets so that we can use as baseline for such a comparison and further potential correction in the EEA computation of the WEI+.

You cannot post comments to this consultation because you are not authenticated. Please log in.