Post a comment on the text below

During 2005-2019, expenditure on water supply and sanitation services in European countries remained consistently the lowest among expenditure on other household needs. Nonetheless, middle income households in Lithuania, Latvia and Greece exhibit the lowest levels of residual income left after covering the household needs considered (4-10% in the worst years). This leaves little margin to absorb additional price hikes in the future. Alternatively, households in western European countries such as Ireland, the Netherlands and France often had 50% or more of their income still available after covering such expenses during the same period, while their expenditure on water supply services is comparatively low.

Previous comments

• veerenrob (Rob van der Veeren) 26 Jan 2022 18:39:27

I am not sure whether this still holds for the Netherlands nowadays: More and more households in the Netherlands have more and more difficulties to find affordable homes. So, costs for housing is taking a large and increasing part of household income. 

But maybe I misunderstand the text here. In which case, I would suggest to have a second look at the text to make more clear what is meant here. My problem is that I don't understand what is meant by 'such expenditures' in the last line? As stated before, the costs for housing is getting too much for more and more households; a serious problem in our larger cities.

• zalllnih (Nihat Zal) 04 Mar 2022 15:24:29

This is what the statistical data has yielded. Perhaps we will see that remainder become smaller in the coming years (the latest datapoints are from 2019). We have added a couple of edits to try and clarify what the text is referring to.

I am not sure whether this still holds for the Netherlands nowadays: More and more households in the Netherlands have more and more difficulties to find affordable homes. So, costs for housing is taking a large and increasing part of household income. 

But maybe I misunderstand the text here. In which case, I would suggest to have a second look at the text to make more clear what is meant here. My problem is that I don't understand what is meant by 'such expenditures' in the last line? As stated before, the costs for housing is getting too much for more and more households; a serious problem in our larger cities.

• scheidand (Andreas Scheidleder) 31 Jan 2022 17:34:45

It would be interesting to combine the information on cost recovery and expenditure level for the mentioned services for each country as subsidies for renewing the infrastructure are widely used.

You cannot post comments to this consultation because you are not authenticated. Please log in.