Post a comment on the text below

2.4 Sources, uses and sales of pesticides

Pesticides are substances contained as active ingredients in plant protection products and biocides. They must selectively act against specific pest organisms, but it is impossible to achieve absolute selectivity (i.e. where effects are limited to only the target species). Furthermore, some pesticides being toxic to humans and/ or harming the environment by contaminating soil, surface and ground water. Pesticide contamination of both surface and groundwaters can affect aquatic fauna and flora, as well as human health when pesticide polluted water is used for public consumption. Aquatic organisms are directly exposed to pesticides resulting from agricultural production or indirectly through trophic chains (Maksymiv, 2015).

Previous comments

• Christine Meisinger (invited by Caroline Whalley) 16 Jan 2020 11:16:32

I suggest re-word sentence 1 as follows "Pesticides, which comprise plant protection products and biocides, contain active substances with pesticidal properties"

"impossible to achieve absolute selectivity" - I would revise to state "very difficcult"

• Stuart Rutherford (invited by Caroline Whalley) 07 Feb 2020 13:39:09

Third sentence: this sentence is incomplete and therefore does not make sense - this statement is not appropriate and should be dropped.

Pesticides are approved only if their toxicity to humans is excluded according to their use pattern. 

The classification of pesticides to be toxic or harmful is based on its intrinsic properties. However, a risk to humans or the envirement only occurs where the exposure level exceeds the critical safety level. This is a key element in the discussion and should be mentioned here for the sake of transparency and clarity.

You cannot post comments to this consultation because you are not authenticated. Please log in.